The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

NORWICH: First butterflies of the year

12th March 2011
.
A trip to the Cathedral so that Cathy could see the Peregrines was unsuccessful, but the warm weather had brought a number of butterflies out. On our walk in along Lakenham Way we saw 2 Brimstones and 4 Commas, whilst on our return the Comma numbers were up to 6 and single Peacock and Small Tortoiseshells were also out.
.

In the evening whilst watching the gulls stream eastwards towards Breydon, a very early Swallow flew through.

2 comments:

  1. I think Spring is earlier this year, I had a Chiffchaff in the garden, I had to look twice incase I was hallucinating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't checked back through all my butterfly records, but these are definitely early. If we get some more nice weather and/or southerly winds then it could well beat some of my earliest spring bird records as well. I'm yet to hear a Chiffchaff this year, but there was one singing at County Hall at the weekend apparently, so they are about!

    ReplyDelete