The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2016 is now available to download here.

The previous reports are also availble: 2015 here,
2014 report here and the 2013 report here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed sightings, information and photos to these reports.

You may also be interested in Chris Durdin's Thorpe Marsh Wildlife Report for 2016, which is available http://www.honeyguide.co.uk/documents/ThorpeMarshesWildlifeReport2016.pdf

WHITLINGHAM: Spotfly, Cuckoo and Peregrines

2nd June 2011

I spent a sunny morning wandering slowly around the Great Broad, checking each blue damselfly looking for azures or variables, but every single one was a Common Blue. I heard a Cuckoo calling from south of the picnic meadow, but a quick investigation found that it was out of sight range. Further round I heard another, this time coming from the the trees near the NE of the Great Broad where I had heard one earlier in the year. This time I wasn't the wrong side of the river, and soon located the Cuckoo sitting up in a large willow before being mobbed around the plantation. Checking the ruins of Trowse Newton Hall and the surrounding trees I found the hoped for Spotted Flycatcher, which endulged me with some flycatching before flying down to the ruins for a root around. On my way back I caught sight of a Peregrine flying from the city over the waste ground. A quick backtrack allowed me to watch it fly over the river and firmly onto the patch!


In terms of insects, hundreds if not thousands of Common Blue Damselflies and a lovely violescens-type immature Blue-tailed Damsefly, plus 2 Banded Demoiselles. Also Mullein Moth caterpillars on the mullein near the woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment