The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2016 is now available to download here.

The previous reports are also availble: 2015 here,
2014 report here and the 2013 report here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed sightings, information and photos to these reports.

You may also be interested in Chris Durdin's Thorpe Marsh Wildlife Report for 2016, which is available here.

WHITLINGHAM: List moves on slowly

24th October 2011

Walking around Whitlingham in the rain, I couldn't help feel that I should just write July-October off and spend any available time near the coast. Early November is the time when wildfowl numbers increase sharply, and it was noticeable that we were a way off. c60 Tufted Ducks and 32 Teal were the ducky highlights. A Kingfisher flew along the south shore, keeping my spirits up. Right at the end of the spit on Thorpe Broad a lone Snipe was feeding. I got a bit of deja vu along the riverbank when I heard a Bullfinch in the same scrub that I had heard earlier in the year. This time I managed to see it, my first patch year tick in a while. In the area between the Little Broad and Great Broad two Giant Puffballs were growing. Flyover stuff included a small flock of Redwing and around 30 Siskins, but no sign of any Brambling amongst a flock of Chaffinches. I've only seen Brambling here once, so if anyone does see some on the deck I would appreciate an email! Hopefully there will be more to report in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment