The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2016 is now available to download here.

The previous reports are also availble: 2015 here,
2014 report here and the 2013 report here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed sightings, information and photos to these reports.

You may also be interested in Chris Durdin's Thorpe Marsh Wildlife Report for 2016, which is available http://www.honeyguide.co.uk/documents/ThorpeMarshesWildlifeReport2016.pdf

WHITLINGHAM: Thorpe - lots of Chiffchaffs

24th March 2012

Whitlingham gets particularly busy on sunny days, so I went to Thorpe to get a quieter walk.  I finally saw my first butterfly of the year, with a Comma sunning itself on Whitlingham Lane (not to be confused with the road to the CP of the same name).  Chiffchaffs were singing loudly, I saw one in trees just over the railway footbridge and heard at least six more.  I sat at the cattle compound and scanned for Little Ringed Plovers, but without success.  After a while I continued my walk, flushing a Meadow Pipit from the marsh near the path.  On the broad a Goldeneye was still present, along with a Gadwall and a pair of Teal.  Six Snipe were in vegetation on the shingle spit, although the heat haze joined two together to make an uber-Snipe.  Further round were some bathing Jackdaws and a pair of Oystercatchers.  Following my circuit I went back to the cattle compound to have another look for the LRPs, but there was still no sign of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment