The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

THORPE MARSH: Little Ringed Plovers still present

8th April 2012

A morning trip to Thorpe.  No movement initially on the scrape, but after 5 minutes a Little Ringed Plover emerged from the rushes, and a high-pitched call alerted me to another further over.  They ran about, feeding periodically until one flew over onto the broad.  Walking further round a Meadow Pipit flew up from the marshes and into a tree along the fence-line.  I walked across onto Bungalow Lane, pausing to watch a male Kestrel hovering overhead.  A Willow Warbler was singing from the trees along the ditch.  From the bird screen I scanned the spit, and was pleased to pick up the Green Sandpiper that I had seen last week, half walking, half bobbing along the edge.  On the way home I walked around Carey's Meadow, which was quiet other than the sound of Chiffchaffs and one Blackcap.

No comments:

Post a Comment