The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

NORTH NORFOLK: Holt Fritillaries

22nd July 2012

Aside from birds I do particularly like butterflies, stemming back to my garden in North Walsham where I used to watch Small Tortoiseshells and Peacocks on the Buddleia as a kid.  Last year Cathy & I attempted to see all of the resident Norfolk species throughout the year, but that still left Clouded Yellow and Silver-washed Fritillary.  I had seen both in other counties, but not in Norfolk. After seeing John Furse's excellent photo of one of the latter species at Holt C.P, we decided to go and have a look for them.  Despite the sunny conditions and other butterflies we had only got a glimpse of one of the Silver-washed Fritillaries flying up amongst the trees whilst walking the paths.  We were almost back to the carpark when a Fritillary flew across our path and landed on a hawthorn.  Before I could focus my camera it was off again, flying up and over the bushes towards the pond.  A brief butterfly encounter, but a satisfying one.

No comments:

Post a Comment