The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2016 is now available to download here.

The previous reports are also availble: 2015 here,
2014 report here and the 2013 report here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed sightings, information and photos to these reports.

You may also be interested in Chris Durdin's Thorpe Marsh Wildlife Report for 2016, which is available here.

WHITLINGHAM: Cuckoo, Garden Warbler & Goslings

28th April 2014

Having been busy at the weekend it was Monday evening before I managed to get to Whitlingham. It was overcast and a bit murky, and most of the birdsong was rather muted. As I headed round the broad I heard the call of a Cuckoo coming from the main island, and eventually I got a brief view in one of the tall trees. At that point I heard another Cuckoo, further away towards Thorpe. Continuing along I saw my first Reed and Garden Warblers of the year, along with a couple of Whitethroats and lots of Blackcaps. I dutifully scanned through the hirundines skimming the broad, all of which were Swallows or House Martins.

Walking back along the south shore there was a bit of a gosling-fest, with three broods of Greylags (11,3,3), the first Canada Geese (3), Egyptian Goose (5) and some fast-growing-up piebald Domestic Mallards (3).

Goose broods (foreground Egyptian, middle Canada and far Greylag). Plus bonus Mute Swan.

No comments:

Post a Comment