The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2016 is now available to download here.

The previous reports are also availble: 2015 here,
2014 report here and the 2013 report here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed sightings, information and photos to these reports.

You may also be interested in Chris Durdin's Thorpe Marsh Wildlife Report for 2016, which is available http://www.honeyguide.co.uk/documents/ThorpeMarshesWildlifeReport2016.pdf

NORWICH: Some more Norwich insects

w/c 29th June 2015

Despite work and the oppressive heat, I still managed to see some interesting insects this week. The first of these was a bug that flew in through an open window whilst I was at work. I potted it and took some photos, and was able to identify it as Deraeocoris flavilinea. As there were no Norfolk records showing up on the NBN maps* I contacted the county bug recorder, who informed me that it was only the second county record, so a good record.

Deraeocoris flavilinea

The next day nothing made it through the windows, but I did notice a ladybird on the outside of the window. I leaned round and potted that too. I recognised it as a Cream-spot Ladybird, my 9th ladybird species of the year so far.

Cream-spot Ladybird

The most pleasing insect of the week however was a new moth for me, Lilac Beauty. It was caught by my in-laws, who called Cathy having been unable to find it on their butterfly and day-flying moth guides. They kindly invited us over to have a look. Lilac Beauties have an interesting crinkled-wing look, presumably to help them camouflage themselves as dead leaves. On the same evening I was doing a bit of gardening when I found my first Soldierfly, a shiny green and blue species called Broad Centurion.

 Lilac Beauty
Broad Centurion

* NBN is the National Biodiversity Network. If you want to get an idea of how common (or not) a species is in your area, type in the latin name of you species followed by NBN into your search engine. It will bring up a page with the option to look at a map (top right of the page) showing all of the records submitted to the network. It gives a good indication of species range, but not definitive because some records haven't been updated or submitted.  
For my example, the page is here: https://data.nbn.org.uk/Taxa/NHMSYS0020920407

No comments:

Post a Comment