The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2016 is now available to download here.

The previous reports are also availble: 2015 here,
2014 report here and the 2013 report here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed sightings, information and photos to these reports.

You may also be interested in Chris Durdin's Thorpe Marsh Wildlife Report for 2016, which is available http://www.honeyguide.co.uk/documents/ThorpeMarshesWildlifeReport2016.pdf

NORWICH: Clearwing and Hornet Moth

3rd July 2016

After Saturdays exertions I wasn't planning on going out on Sunday, and after lunch I found myself perusing Twitter. In particular I noticed that naturalist, author and all-round nice chap James Lowen had posted about a Red-belted Clearwing that he had attracted in his garden. For those not familiar with the clearwings they are an interesting family of day-flying moths with clear panels in their wings. They are occasionally seen nectaring at flowers, but usually are only seen if attracted by special lures that contain a pheromone. Red-belted Clearwings are scarce in Norfolk, and associated with old fruit trees, so not a particularly widespread habitat.

Shortly later, I received a message from James, saying that if I wanted to see the Red-belted Clearwing I could pop round to his later that evening. I gratefully agreed, and at the appointed hour I arrived to see several other moth enthusiasts were present. We were given tea and biscuits, and told that there was a bonus moth to see. Whilst sitting in the garden James had tried out a second lure, and had also attracted a Hornet Moth - the very species I had tried and failed to see last week! Many thanks to James and his family for their hospitality, and why not buy a copy of his latest book for good measure ;-)

 Red-belted Clearwing
 Hornet Moth
Hornet Moth front on

No comments:

Post a Comment