The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

NORWICH: Parasitised Mullein moth caterpillar

17th June 2021

On the way home from work I checked some Mullein plants and noticed the caterpillars of the Mullein moth. I've seen loads of these (although still not an adult moth), but also noticed that a couple of them were small and orange. I recognised the general appearance as having been 'mummified' by a type of parasitic wasp. I reared the wasp through, and it as identified online as an Aleiodes species. I then got in touch with national expert Mark Shaw, who asked for the wasp and the mummified caterpillar to be sent to him with a view to adding it to the collection at Edinburgh museum. When conditions allow it might be DNA barcoded, but his assumption is that it is likely to be Aleiodes leptofemur.



No comments:

Post a Comment