The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

NORWICH: Late March - more aphids, a new grass and possibly a rare gall

Late March 2022

A selection of random things from around Norwich on my walks too and from work. I had been looking at grasses around the city for Early Meadow Grass (Poa infirma), and finally found a big patch on Brazen Gate. I also walked out to Hall Road to check out the yellow form of Sweet Violet (sulphurea), which looked nice if a bit trampled. Nearby I found some tiny galls on Goosegrass leaves which seem to amtch the description of Synchytrium globosum (https://bladmineerders.nl/parasites/fungi/chytridiomycota/chytridiales/synchytrium/synchytrium-globosum/), but even Peter Shirley of AIDGAP gall guide fame wasn't really aware of it in the UK, so I can't easily confirm it (they are tiny!)



Elsewhere there were two new aphids for me, Cinara cupressi on my rubbish bin (kept near a cypress sp) and what I think are Aulacorthum solani on Thale Cress. 


Finally I saw some white-flowered Herb Robert in an alleyway near the house and a brood of Egyptian Geese were in Wensum Park, the second one I've seen in the city after the ones near the Ribs of Beef.



No comments:

Post a Comment