The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

NORWICH: January 2024 roundup

January 2024

A brief summary of the rest of January. Other than the two Whitlingham visits I didn't have any other dedicated wildlife-watching time. I saw one new species, a scale insect on Viburnum tinus called Lichtensia viburni. Whilst checking the host plant, which is widely planted in gardens and hedges around Norwich, I noticed that lots of leaves were a silvery colour. This is apparently caused by a species of Thrips called Heliothrips haemorrhoidalis. I've not found any so far, presumably they don't overwinter as adults this far north, but will be checking again later in the spring.




In terms of birds, in addition to those seen on January 1st or at Whitlingham I added Rook to my year list from the car whilst on a family trip to King's Lynn museum and the following: Kingfisher, Long-tailed Tit, Stock Dove (Wensum Park), Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldcrest, Coal Tit (Waterloo Park), Jay (Lakenham Way) and Grey Wagtail (Norwich city centre), so by the end of the month I had seen 47 birds at Whitlingham and 60 overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment