The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

WHITLINGHAM: Egyptian Goose numbers still rising

16th July 2011


After a day of persistent rain I finally got down to Whitlingham at about 5. I had already counted 82 Egyptian Geese between the watersports centre and the slipway, and added a few more along the south shore to finish up with a new record site count of 94. I wondered whether this could even be one of the highest counts for Norfolk, but it appears that there have been several large post-breeding gatherings, notably 200 at Holkham in 1979 more recently large gatherings at Breydon, Buckenham and Pentney.


Enjoying the relative quiet as the rain kept visitors away I had a nice stroll, accompanied by the calls of the three Common Terns (2 juveniles) that had flown from Thorpe to perch on the cormorant posts. Bird of the evening was a juvenile Linnet that was feeding on dried Hogweed seeds (or insects in them). I've seen several fly over and some more at the sewage works, but this was the first time I'd seen one on the deck at the country park proper. As I left the sun came out, bringing out Swallows, House Martins and several butterfly species.

No comments:

Post a Comment