The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2016 is now available to download here.

The previous reports are also availble: 2015 here,
2014 report here and the 2013 report here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed sightings, information and photos to these reports.

You may also be interested in Chris Durdin's Thorpe Marsh Wildlife Report for 2016, which is available http://www.honeyguide.co.uk/documents/ThorpeMarshesWildlifeReport2016.pdf

WHITLINGHAM: Thorpe Greenshank

10th August 2011


Earlier in the week I had noticed that Ricky had seen five Greenshanks at Thorpe Marshes, but as they had flown off shortly after I hadn't given them too much thought. However whilst I was out I received a text from Adam saying he had seen five Greenshanks and two Green Sandpipers that morning, so I decided to go and have a look. At first glance most of the waders including the Lapwings appeared to have cleared out, but careful scanning revealed a Green Sandpiper on the edge of the shingle, finally my 100th patch bird of the year! With several groups of people walking around I decided to do a lap and then come back and wait for the birds to emerge. For once this paid off, with a lone Greenshank (101) walking out onto the shingle spit. This is my second record at Thorpe, following a long-staying bird in spring 2009. Three calling Oystercatchers flew over heading south but showed no signs of landing.

No comments:

Post a Comment