The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

WHITLINGHAM: Thorpe Greenshank

10th August 2011


Earlier in the week I had noticed that Ricky had seen five Greenshanks at Thorpe Marshes, but as they had flown off shortly after I hadn't given them too much thought. However whilst I was out I received a text from Adam saying he had seen five Greenshanks and two Green Sandpipers that morning, so I decided to go and have a look. At first glance most of the waders including the Lapwings appeared to have cleared out, but careful scanning revealed a Green Sandpiper on the edge of the shingle, finally my 100th patch bird of the year! With several groups of people walking around I decided to do a lap and then come back and wait for the birds to emerge. For once this paid off, with a lone Greenshank (101) walking out onto the shingle spit. This is my second record at Thorpe, following a long-staying bird in spring 2009. Three calling Oystercatchers flew over heading south but showed no signs of landing.

No comments:

Post a Comment