The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2016 is now available to download here.

The previous reports are also availble: 2015 here,
2014 report here and the 2013 report here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed sightings, information and photos to these reports.

You may also be interested in Chris Durdin's Thorpe Marsh Wildlife Report for 2016, which is available http://www.honeyguide.co.uk/documents/ThorpeMarshesWildlifeReport2016.pdf

NORWICH: Colney & Earlham

16th February 2012

As a change from Whitlingham I went out to the west of the city.  Starting at Colney Gravel Pits I had a scan for Smew or anything out of the ordinary, but saw nothing scarcer than Teal.  Walking back along the road I then went onto Bowthorpe Marshes. On the river a Little Egret briefly raised my interest (a Great White Egret was seen in the area earlier in the week), but having thought about it Little Egret is still a decent bird for this area.  Two out of the three large pools that I used to come and sit near when I lived at Three Score were completely dry.  Further along at Earlham Marshes I found a Water Rail in vegetation along the river edge and a couple more Teal.  Just before reaching Earlham Park I found a Kingfisher perched up, but it then shot off as I reached for my camera.  Final decent of my walk was a Nuthatch, calling from a tree near St Mary's church.

2 comments:

  1. Little egret regular in the Yare Valley above Lakenham. Never seen one at Whitlingham - probably because there are no undisturbed marshes for them to go to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep I've seen the one at Old Lakenham a few times now, feeding in the river.

    My only Whitlingham record was a flyover last year, one was flying downriver on an evening visit.

    ReplyDelete