The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2016 is now available to download here.

The previous reports are also availble: 2015 here,
2014 report here and the 2013 report here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed sightings, information and photos to these reports.

You may also be interested in Chris Durdin's Thorpe Marsh Wildlife Report for 2016, which is available http://www.honeyguide.co.uk/documents/ThorpeMarshesWildlifeReport2016.pdf

THORPE MARSH: Skylark & Norfolk Hawkers

29th June 2012

I popped down to Thorpe Marsh in the afternoon, hoping that the sunshine would bring out a Red Kite or two.  Walking along towards the style an Emperor dragonfly flew over to a pool beside the path, and a couple of Norfolk Hawkers were patrolling the ditch.  I spotted Paul sat on the fence, and stopped for a chat as we scanned over the marshes.  Part way through our conversation I became aware of a singing Skylark nearby, and I was enjoying the song when it suddenly occurred to me that I hadn't seen one on the patch this year (or ever at Thorpe).  It was actually a patch year tick for both of us, taking me up to 105 and Paul to 96.

After Paul had gone I continued my way around the site, seeing a Little Ringed Plover and 6 Lapwings on the scrape.  There were more Norfolk Hawkers and a female Black-tailed Skimmer over the ditches, and my first Red Admiral of the year flew along the riverbank path.  Part way round I caught up with Reg Land, who was having a look round to help him come up with a management plan for the site.  There was little else of interest on the way back to the footbridge, but I did get good views of a Peregrine flying along Thorpe Road on my way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment