The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

WHITLINGHAM: Crossbill-less.

5th June 2012

A small influx of Crossbills and yesterdays Black Tern at Rockland seemed to be a good enough reason to brave the bank holiday crowds at Whitlingham.  There are a couple of large coniferous trees along Whitlingham Lane that I have earmarked as possible Crossbill trees, but my best chance is probably just being in the right place at the right time. I kept my ears peeled, but with no joy (well done to Jim, who had some over his house at about the same time though!).  No sign of the Black Tern over the Great Broad, I think I may have to wait until the autumn for another shot at them now.  There were two Common Terns still, presumably the pair that were mating last week.  I did notice that there seemed to be a lot of Mute Swans and Greylag Geese about, so I did a count on my way back, 103 Swans and 91 Greylags, both decent counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment