The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

WHITLINGHAM: Last visit of the year

30th December 2012

A last visit to Whitlingham of the year, hoping for the one new species that would break my year record. It was rather busy, at times feeling like I was in a rather large queue snaking around the broad. the duck highlights were 19 Wigeon on the Great Broad, a decent count here. A few Siskins flew over, and that was that really. I went along the Lime tree avenue to the farmland at the top to look for Yellowhammer (my top blocker here now according to BUBO) or Red-legged Partridge. I saw neither, but did get good views of a Green Woodpecker on the meadows. So there we go, 110 species, ten of which were site ticks, represents a very good year. I am now putting the finishing touches to my inaugural Whitlingham Bird Report( in lieu of a big summary post), so look forward to that early in the new year.


1 comment:

  1. I too made my last visit to Whltingham in 2012 on Sunday morning.

    Started in the meadow at the west end of Whitlingham Lane and had coal tit and goldcrest at the east end near the bench, with the tit flock. Pair of herons to the east.

    The Broad was far too busy for my liking. Scoped THREE female type goldeneye in front of the island. Nowt else, including Thorpe Marshes from Whitlingham.

    No marsh tit in 2012 but the 105 total beats my 100 exactly from 2010.

    ReplyDelete