The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

BRECKLAND: Speedwell search & Stone Curlews

12th April 2014

Chronologically the next species on my list of 30 Interesting Things was one or more of the rare Speedwells that can be found in the Brecks. Cathy & I went to a site near Thetford, where we searched along the edges of a path for the tiny blue flowers. We did find two speedwells, but neither were rare - most of the plants were Ivy-leaved Speedwell, whilst the other turned out to be Common Field Speedwell. We did see a Goldcrest and heard a Blackcap in the nearby pines.

Before going back we moved on to Weeting Heath, where we got good views of two Stone Curlews from west hide and had a chat with one of the wardens. I didn't have my 'scope with me to take any photos, but I notice that Craig Shaw also visited Weeting yesterday and he has got a good photo of the Stone Curlews on his blog here: http://craigshawsbirdingblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/brecks.html

No comments:

Post a Comment