The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2016 is now available to download here.

The previous reports are also availble: 2015 here,
2014 report here and the 2013 report here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed sightings, information and photos to these reports.

You may also be interested in Chris Durdin's Thorpe Marsh Wildlife Report for 2016, which is available here.

WHITLINGHAM: Spring migrants begin to arrive

6th April 2014

An overcast day with sporadic showers meant I was unlikely to catch up with the soaring raptors seen yesterday (Red Kite, Buzzard, Marsh Harrier), but did seem like good weather for hirundines. There had been a wholesale clearout of ducks from the Little Broad, with no Shoveler and only five Gadwall present. I went and checked the sightings board, but it still read that I should look out for autumn fungi and berries. Heading along the south shore of the broad I heard my first Blackcap about half way along, singing from the edge of the picnic meadow. In all I heard four, along with my first two Willow Warblers of the year just past the old pump house.


On the broad itself there were still 100+ Tufted Ducks and a pair of Pochard. There was no sign of Green Sandpiper or Little Ringed Plover on the shingle at Thorpe, although both have been seen during the week. I scanned the edges of the conservation area bay for Garganey, my patch nemesis, and in doing so almost missed a Little Egret, which was sat in one of the willow trees on the east end of the island. After another shower passed over I scanned again and picked up a single Sand Martin. It flew through and along the river, showing no interest in the broad. On my way back I spoke to one of the park rangers, who confirmed that a Red Kite was being seen regularly over the campsite and Whitlingham Hall area.

In non-avian news there are even more Wrinkled Fieldcaps out on one of the woodchip piles, and I saw a species of Thick-headed Fly.

Wrinkled Fieldcap (Agrocybe rivulosa)
Thick-headed Fly (Myopis sp)

No comments:

Post a Comment