The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

THORPE MARSH: Nightingale & Cuckoo

29th April 2015

With more migrants arriving in recent times, I headed down to Thorpe for an hours birding after work. Before getting to Thorpe Marsh I had a look nearby for a Nightingale found by Ricky earlier in the month. As I neared the site I could hear it singing away with gusto. I was struggling to see it until another bird ducked into the bush and begun chasing it around, with the original bird scolding the intruder. Although I couldn't be sure, I suspect that the second bird was another male Nightingale (two had been heard singing earlier in the day). Ricky got some footage of it singing, which you can see here.

Leaving the Nightingale I headed on to Thorpe Marsh, where a Cuckoo was calling from the marshes to the east. I walked around the edge of the marsh to the bird screen for a quick scan. Further round I heard and saw my first Garden Warbler of the year, along with a couple of Linnets that flew out from scrub near the river. A Swallow and a Common Tern also flew over to complete a pleasant evenings birding.


No comments:

Post a Comment