The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2016 is now available to download here.

The previous reports are also availble: 2015 here,
2014 report here and the 2013 report here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed sightings, information and photos to these reports.

You may also be interested in Chris Durdin's Thorpe Marsh Wildlife Report for 2016, which is available here.

THORPE MARSH: More invertebrates

19th June 2015

I popped down to Thorpe Marsh after work on Friday. Summer can be a bit of a quiet time for birds here and so it proved. Reed Buntings were the most obvious bird, with at least five seen. An Oystercatcher called and a couple of Lapwings were around. Reed, Sedge and Willow Warblers all sung occasionally.

Turning my attention to plants and insects I noticed some Celery-leaved Buttercups in flower. A reed beetle seemed to have a purple sheen rather than the commoner copper colour. These beetles can be very variable, but I have tentitatively keyed this one out as Donacia semicuprea rather than the commoner Donacia simplex - let me know if you disagree! A Yellow-tail moth caterpillar was on a Hawthorn near the bird screen, a new patch caterpillar for me but not a new species as I have seen the adult moth at Whitlingham previously. Lots of Swollen-thighed Beetles and a few hoverflies were out on the Hogweed. I also located a new gall on some Ash trees, and a distinctive aphid species on Guelder Rose.

Celery-leaved Buttercup
 Donacia semicuprea (I think!)
Yellow-tail Moth caterpillar

No comments:

Post a Comment