The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2016 is now available to download here.

The previous reports are also availble: 2015 here,
2014 report here and the 2013 report here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed sightings, information and photos to these reports.

You may also be interested in Chris Durdin's Thorpe Marsh Wildlife Report for 2016, which is available here.

NORWICH: Hummingbird Hawk Moth

14th August 2015

This year I have seen a number of interesting species of insect from my kitchen window whilst making tea or washing up. Today I was doing the latter when a moth flew past. I suspected it was a Hummingbird Hawk moth, although I wouldn't have recorded it based solely on those views. Luckily it landed on one of two Buddleias we have, and I was able to confirm that it was indeed a Hummingbird Hawk Moth. These moths are reasonably common migrants, and are responsible for calls and letters to people like the RSPB from people who are convinced that they have seen a real Hummingbird in their garden!



In other moth news, I have identified a moth that I saw at Thorpe Marsh on 30th July as Evergestis pallidata, which becomes patch species number 902.


No comments:

Post a Comment