The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2016 is now available to download here.

The previous reports are also availble: 2015 here,
2014 report here and the 2013 report here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed sightings, information and photos to these reports.

You may also be interested in Chris Durdin's Thorpe Marsh Wildlife Report for 2016, which is available http://www.honeyguide.co.uk/documents/ThorpeMarshesWildlifeReport2016.pdf

WHITLINGHAM: New fungus, moss and lichens

12th October 2016

Despite there in theory being a couple of hours of daylight still after work, the overcast conditions and rain showers meant that it felt dusk-like as I headed down to Whitlingham on Wednesday evening. A Bearded Tit had been heard calling from the north shore of the conservation area earlier in the day, so I was eager to have a look for it. I did stop to check a Long-tailed Tit flock for Yellow-browed Warbler, but as of yet I've not seen one around Norwich, despite the huge influx. Despite loitering a while I didn't see or hear the Bearded Tit - it may have moved on, or could have just been silent. Whilst waiting I counted 41 Cormorants in to roost, and heard Bullfinch, Kingfisher and Grey Wagtail.

Whilst looking for alternative viewpoints I noticed an area of short grass and walked over to it. This turned out to be a good move, as it held at least four new patch species (more if I can identify them!). These included Orange Mosscap (Rickenella fibula), Bank Haircap Moss and two Cladonia lichens.




No comments:

Post a Comment