The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

WHITLINGHAM: No Garganey today

Mid-March 2022

In 2019 after many years of trying I finally saw a Garganey at Whitlingham, but as I was already south of the city at my in-laws I popped down to Whitlingham hoping to see the drake found earlier in the day on the Great Broad. In contrast to later birds at Cley and Strumpshaw it proved to be frustratingly elusive, being out of sight for most of the day and only showing briefly in the evening, about 20 minutes before I got there. Staying until dusk I saw three Little Egrets roost on the island on the Great Broad, with another flying west, and a Water Rail climbed up into a small water-side tree.

On the way back there was enough light to read the rings of two locally ringed Greylag Geese.

No comments:

Post a Comment