The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

NORWICH: A selection of rare/interesting local fungi

Mid-October 2022

A few interesting fungi around the city during October. At Earlham Cemetery I went and had a look at Hygrophoropsis rufa, which had been identified by Ian Senior. I've seen 'False Chanterelles' (Hygrophoropsis aurantiaca) in the same area in the past, so it seems likely that I'd probably seen H. rufa in the past but not realised it. There was a similar scenario at Sycamore Crescent Wood, where a large woody bracket fungus must have been present near the bridge to Sweetbriar Marshes for many years, but it was only identified this year when Jeremy Bartlett realised that it was Pereniporia fraxinea.




Two species found on my way into work were also new ones. I had seen pictures online of a rather nondescript white fungus called Mealy Domecap (Tricholomella constricta) found by Jeremy Bartlett growing along the edge of a street in the Golden Triangle. Apparently it favours areas 'enriched' by animal urine. As there are plenty of dog walkers nearby I checked a few grassy communal areas near our house and found it within a few minutes! On another morning it was raining so I was looking down, trying to avoid getting soaked, when I noticed several boletes growing on a verge under a Lime tree (Tilia sp). Taking one back and taking a section I realised that it was Boletus (=Xerocomellus) bubalinus, a species new to Norfolk where the cap turns pink with a blue line along the pore layer when cut. This was the first Norfolk record.




Finally I was told about some Aromatic Pinkgills (Entoloma pleopodium) growing in Earlham Cemetery. They had been cut down as part of the mowing regime almost as soon as they had been found, but fortunately Vanna noticed a few fresh ones a week later, so I went back and managed to see them.


No comments:

Post a Comment