The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

CENTRAL NORFOLK: Hockering Wood invertebrates

Late May 2024

I had set aside a day at the end of the month to go looking for hoverflies, but unfortunately it was raining so this would have been a waste of time. Instead I decided to go to Hockering Woods, a privately owned SSSI ancient woodland that is opened up by the owners over the summer. It is not the easiest place to visit - entrance is via a single gate and the road is used by lorries based nearby so walking from elsewhere is not really an option. There is parking for a couple of cars nearby, and the last time I visited the site was locked despite being within the published opening days. Anyway this time it was open and I managed to park at the second time of trying.

There was plenty to find alongside the paths by scanning the wet vegetation. In particular I was delighted to find my first Four-spotted Carrion Beetle (Dendroxena quadrimaculata) and I found a fly new to Norfolk, Liriomyza pascuum causing leaf mines on Wood Spurge. There were quite a few moths, including a large number of Small Barred Longhorn Moth (Adela croesella), and I also found a Buff-tip.




No comments:

Post a Comment