The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

WHITLINGHAM & THORPE: Ruff Justice

14th January 2012

In the morning I headed down to Thorpe Marshes in the hope that a group of Ruff that had been seen in midweek by Ricky would still be in the area. Upon arrival I immediately heard a burst of Cetti's Warbler song, but as the source appeared to be some way off I continued until I heard another one closer to the path. A couple of minutes wait was enough to get good views as it clambered about the dead vegetation. Negotiating the pool of water across the gateway I went and stood by the cattle pound to scan the marshes. 16 Lapwing and 3 Snipe were the only wading birds, and gull numbers were nowhere near the levels around last week. A Great Spotted Woodpecker by the railway line and a Wren were new for the year, and another ten Snipe were onsite, mainly along the far edge of the broad east of the spit.

No comments:

Post a Comment