The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2016 is now available to download here.

The previous reports are also availble: 2015 here,
2014 report here and the 2013 report here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed sightings, information and photos to these reports.

You may also be interested in Chris Durdin's Thorpe Marsh Wildlife Report for 2016, which is available http://www.honeyguide.co.uk/documents/ThorpeMarshesWildlifeReport2016.pdf

NORWICH: Spring in the Rosary

1st April 2013

April 1st is not a good day to find a rare bird, because of the obvious issues with people not believing you. I cleverly avoided this problem by not finding anything rare. What I did do was have a nice walk around Rosary Cemetery and Lion Wood, ostensibly for Chiffchaffs but realistically looking for anything to brighten up the day.

Bird-wise I saw the expected stuff, including Nuthatch, Green Woodpecker and Stock Dove. I watched a Wren foraging mouse-like in the dead leaves, and also saw what I presume is a form of display by a Coal Tit. Attracted to it by a sort of whirring noise that I didn't recognise (which I can't find on Xeno Canto, at least on the first page) I noticed a pair of Coal Tits perched on a branch, with the male leaning in and vibrating his wings, looking like it had picked up some moves watching David Attenborough's Life of Birds.

Other than birds there was a nice display of Primroses and Crocuses in the cemetery, and I found a Barren Strawberry plant in flower. Some brackets in Lion Wood look like Purplepore Bracket, and given that I have only just started looking at lichens, everything I noticed on tombstones was probably new to me if I can identify it.

I call these 'black lichen' and 'orange apothecia'd grey lichen'

Purplepore Bracket

No comments:

Post a Comment