The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2016 is now available to download here.

The previous reports are also availble: 2015 here,
2014 report here and the 2013 report here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed sightings, information and photos to these reports.

You may also be interested in Chris Durdin's Thorpe Marsh Wildlife Report for 2016, which is available http://www.honeyguide.co.uk/documents/ThorpeMarshesWildlifeReport2016.pdf

WHITLINGHAM: Arctic Tern influx

18th April 2013

There was a large passage of Arctic Terns throughout the day, and so it came as no particular surprise to find out that some had been seen at Whitlingham. What was a surprise however was the amount, with up to 18 being seen. This is the largest number there that I can remember, although I haven't gone through the Bird & Mammal reports to check this yet. Last year the main passage was on 24th April, when I saw 4 Arctic Terns and 7+ Common Terns, but this year all of the birds I saw were Arctic - in fact a Common Tern would have been my earliest patch record as I usually see them in the fourth week of April: 2008 (23rd), 2010 (25th), 2011 (21st) and 2012 (24th).

Arriving at Whitlingham in bright sunshine I saw some Swallows flying over the Great Broad, and picked up my first patch House Martin into the bargain. A double check for anything rarer (Red-rumped Swallow in Kessingland and several Alpine Swifts were seen today) came up empty. Scanning down the broad I saw some Terns, all east of the island. Reaching them I positioned myself in a gap in the willows so that I could scan without standing out. I counted 16 Arctic Terns, and got some excellent views as they flew back and forth, stalling and swooping to catch insects just over the waters surface.



No comments:

Post a Comment