The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2016 is now available to download here.

The previous reports are also availble: 2015 here,
2014 report here and the 2013 report here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed sightings, information and photos to these reports.

You may also be interested in Chris Durdin's Thorpe Marsh Wildlife Report for 2016, which is available here.

THORPE MARSH: LRP, Green Sandpiper & Sand Martins

10th April 2013

A trip to Thorpe Marsh this morning, and reaching the bridge the unfamiliar but welcome sound of a Chiffchaff reached my ears. The water level on the scrape looked too high for smaller waders, and the only birds on the water were some Teal. A second Chiffchaff sung from near the railway line and a couple of Lesser Redpoll flew over. The only bird of note on the marsh was a Reed Bunting, one of several around the site today.

Scanning from the bird screen I couldn't see anything on the spit, but I heard a Green Sandpiper nearby so I decided to walk to the end of viewing area at the edge of the broad and have a look around. Carefully scanning the shingle broad edge I found a Little Ringed Plover, and later a second bird also emerged. Some loud calling behind me drew attention to a Water Rail out in the open. After turning my attention back to the Little Ringed Plovers I re-scanned the spit, finding a Green Sandpiper. A second Green Sand flew up from the broad and towards the edge of the river. A Sand Martin flew past my head, and soon after it was joined by four more, swooping and chattering before continuing on their journey. All in all a very successful morning, and it did actually feel a bit like spring!


Despite appearances, this Green Sandpiper did have a head

On the way back I noticed a small white flower which looks like either Common Whitlowgrass or Hairy Whitlowgrass, both of which would be new for me.



[A good day locally: also in Norwich today - A Red Kite flew over Thorpe later in the day, a Common Sandpiper was at Marston Marsh, a Med Gull flew over Eaton Park and a Spotted Redshank was at Bowthorpe Marsh]

No comments:

Post a Comment