Justin Lansdell & I are still working towards compiling a book detailing the birds of Whitlingham. In the meantime if you are interested in the birds seen at Whitlingham then please check out my yearly bird reports using the links below, or see the species list on this page.
The most recent Whitlingham Bird Report (2020) can be found here
The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2014 can be found here.
28. Velvet Scoter - one seen and photographed on the Great Broad in November 2016.
[Spotted Crake - One caught and ringed in the Whitlingham area on 2nd August 1992 - further investigation suggests this record was outside the current recording area)
77. Sanderling - one at Thorpe Marsh in spring 2017.
122. Great Spotted Woodpecker – Resident
128. Red-rumped Swallow - One was observed for about 15 minutes on 13th May 2013. Interestingly one was seen at Colney GPs about the same time in 2012, so it may have been a returning bird. This sighting was submitted to the county records committee and accepted.
Black Redstart – no reports but surely a candidate on spring passage?
192. Hawfinch - several seen during early mornign vis-mig sessions in 2017, part of a large nationwide passage.