The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

NORWICH AREA: Ringland Church Hill Common

Late April 2022

With a couple of hours free I decided to visit Ringland Church Hill Common, a known site for a moth I'd not seen before called the Bluebell Conch. The common itself turned out to be an interesting place, with a centre of short grassland surrounded by a belt of deciduous woodland (albeit something of an island in a sea of agricultural land). It took a little while to find the largest area of Bluebells, by which time the weather had become rather overcast, and with the time to return to Norwich approaching it was disappointing but not a great surprise that I didn't see my target moth. I did see a new harvestmen and cranefly (Platybunus triangularis and Limonia nubecolsa respectively). Probably the most interesting theig I found was on my way back to the church. I saw a black mass on Garlic Mustard and from a distance wondered if it was a smut. It turned out to be a cluster of Grenade Aphids, Lipaphis alliariae, which based on the Influential Points account seems like a good find.






No comments:

Post a Comment