The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

NORWICH: Panaphis juglandi on Walnut

Mid May 2022

Worth a post of its own, if only because I had been actively looking for this species. A while back I had found a species of birch aphid that is unusual because it occurs on the upperside of the leaf, not the underside. Whilst researching it I found that the only other commonly found UK species that does this was one on Walnut. This aphid,  Panaphis juglandis, is quite distinctive and forms rows down the midrib of a Walnut leaf. There are Walnut trees growing in several Norwich churchyards, and whilst most of the leaves are not viewable I managed to find some low enough down to check, and lo-and-behold I found my target aphid.



No comments:

Post a Comment