The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

NORTH NORFOLK: Titchwell and Holkham Park

Late July 2022

When we had been at Holme for their moth morning, one of the other attendees had mentioned that Titchwell open their moth traps outside the visitors centre each Wednesday morning. Work commitments meant it was the end of July before we could go, and unfortunately only one of the traps had been turned on, and whilst there was quite a selection of moths, none of them were saltmarsh or coastal specialities or new to me. A Red Underwing was probably the highlight. After lunch we had a quick look on the freshmarsh. Apparently a Lesser Yellowlegs was still present near the back, but I'd not brought my telescope so didn't pick it out. I did however notice lots of Golden Dock growing on the scrape near the Parrinder Hide. Presumably this has been here ages, but I'd not recorded it before. Other things of interest included a Kidney-spot Ladybird pupa, the rust Uromyces chenopodii-fruiticosi on Shrubby Seablite and a Bloody-nosed Beetle.




On the way home we stopped off at Holkham to see the mammoth sculpture present in the park. We managed to find it (I'd never been to the walled garden before), with the bonus of seeing some naturalised Stinking Tutsan by the lake. I also noticed a pair of colour-ringed Barnacle Geese with goslings, which I reported to the relevant ringing scheme.




No comments:

Post a Comment