The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

NORWICH: An early September miscellany

Early September 2022

A miscellany of interesting sightings from around the city. Firstly whilst taking my daughter to see one of the T-Rex sculptures near Pull's Ferry I decided to check the nearby Walnut trees for galls. This turned out to be a good decision, as I found galls caused by Aceria brachytarsus, a new species for Norfolk. Later in the day I took a walk along the Avenues to see some large Ganoderma resinaceum fruiting bodies growing from the remains of some cut-down Red Oaks.


Last year I had noticed some mildew on Horse Chestnut leaves near Waterloo Park, but they had been too high to reach. This year I again saw the mildew, but this time some leaves were within jumping range! A check under the microscope confirmed that it was Erysiphe flexuosa.


Whilst checking Alders at Wensum Park I found some Green-barred Alder aphids, Pterocallis maculata. I also took advantage of the low water levels to record some new plants for the park, including Red Goosefoot and Trifid Bur-marigold.




No comments:

Post a Comment