The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

NORWICH: Fig-leaf Skeletonizer

Late September 2022

In 2021 a new moth was found in Norfolk, the Fig-leaf Skeletonizer, Choreutis nemorana. Since then I had been checking Fig trees around Norwich on the off chance that it would spread from the initial sightings on the east coast, but I hadn't had any luck. In mid-September Vanna Bartlett found some larvae on Fig in the cathedral grounds, so a few days later I went to check the biggest Fig tree I knew of in the city centre, and hurrah, I managed to find quite a few feeding signs on leaves and a larva building a silk cocoon. There are now a few more dots on the map, which you can see here: https://norfolkmoths.co.uk/micros.php?bf=3891&show=com




No comments:

Post a Comment