The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

9th January 2009

A walk around Rosary Cemetery and Lion's Wood produced 4 Nuthatches (2 at each location), surprising because I had only seen one in that area before! A fox ran along the path between the old and new sections of the cemetery before noticing me and running off. Looking under the yew hedge I saw another pair of eyes staring at me, I think that is the corner with the den in.

Lion's Wood was fairly quiet, with the exception of a couple of noisy Great Spotted Woodpeckers. Two Coal Tits were the only birds of note, with no sign of Treecreeper or Green Woodpecker, birds which I still need for my year list.

I went further into Thorpe and onto Carey's Meadow. I was rewarded with views of three Bullfinches, which on any other year would have been a new bird at this stage. I did add Stock Dove, but that was it. A walk around the recently flooded workings at Thorpe Marsh was pointless, 6 flushed Teal and a number of gulls on the ice were the only birds on the water at all.

Year list 96 species

No comments:

Post a Comment