The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

NORWICH: City centre seal

13th April 2021

Over the past year there had been lots of sightings of a Grey Seal in the river in Norwich, and o the few occasions I had been able to go and look for it I had not seen it. A week or so earlier there had been another 'seal in the river' article in the EDP, but looking at the recent picture rather than the older ones also lumped in with it, it  was clear that this was actually a Common (Harbour) Seal, which come up the river into Norwich less frequently than Grey Seals. I kept an eye on Twitter and after work one day found that it had been seen nearby. After a bit of searching I found it near the Ribs of Beef pub. It was elusive, disappearing for 10 minutes at a time, but still a nice addition to my Norwich mammal list! Nearby a pair of Egyptian Geese had a gosling o the slipway.



No comments:

Post a Comment