The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

Thorpe Station Marsh

25th March 2009

Following an interview in the morning, I decided to have a look round Station Marsh, on the offchance that some migrants actually fancy coming near me this spring. Omens were good, a Grey Wagtail flew from boat to boat on the river opposite the station as I walked through the city, my 2nd in successive days. Unfortunately the marsh didn't live up to my optimism, 4 gull spp, Oystercatcher, Lapwing, Coot, Tufted Duck, Egyptian Goose and Mute Swan being the only species visible. Careful scanning of every available bit of gravel viewable from the path failed to give up Little Ringed Plover or Rock Pipit, both regular species when it was still a working gravel pit. Chiffchaff and Cetti's Warbler called, and brief compensation was a Common Buzzard (only my 5th record for the Whitlingham/Thorpe area), which flew over then quickly soared upwards into the clouds.

No comments:

Post a Comment