The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2016 is now available to download here.

The previous reports are also availble: 2015 here,
2014 report here and the 2013 report here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed sightings, information and photos to these reports.

You may also be interested in Chris Durdin's Thorpe Marsh Wildlife Report for 2016, which is available http://www.honeyguide.co.uk/documents/ThorpeMarshesWildlifeReport2016.pdf

Flycatcher at last

2nd July 2010
.
Deciding to finally nail this Spotted Flycatcher I spent a while scanning all of the open areas of scrub along the lane. After giving up with this I walked down the lime avenue, and looking out over the ruined hall I saw a bird fly out and then back to a tree branch out of the corner of my eye. It sat there long enough to get a good look at my latest patch tick, Spotted Flycatcher at last. It then flew onto one of the old walls, within photographic range but facing the wrong way. I didn't mind, a lovely little bird.
.
In a good mood I conducted a wildfowl count:
Mute Swans - 76 (5 cygnets)
Canada Goose - 30 (1 gosling)
Egyptian Goose - 62* - this is what I recorded but it seems high, maybe I wrote a number in the wrong column?
Greylag Goose - 143
Hybrid Goose - 3
Domestic Goose - 3
Mallard - 113
"Peking" type Duck - 1
Tufted Duck - 14
Pochard - 1 female (unusual for July)
Gadwall - 1 female
Coot - 79 (61 in the conservation area bay, two on nests)
Great Crested Grebes - 5
Moorhen - 1
.
I also had a good day with dragonflies, including my first site Norfolk Hawker, 3 Emperors, 30+ Black-tailed Skimmers and thousands of damseflies. In terms of butterflies I saw Ringlet, Meadow Brown, Large Skipper, Comma, Small Tortoiseshell, Large White and Red Admiral. Last but not least I saw a Honey Bee swarm on a willow branch over the path.


No comments:

Post a Comment