The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2016 is now available to download here.

The previous reports are also availble: 2015 here,
2014 report here and the 2013 report here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed sightings, information and photos to these reports.

You may also be interested in Chris Durdin's Thorpe Marsh Wildlife Report for 2016, which is available http://www.honeyguide.co.uk/documents/ThorpeMarshesWildlifeReport2016.pdf

BROADS: Can you identify this Carpet moth?

Earlier this week I got to examine a trap of moths caught in a garden in Barton Turf. Most of them were straightforward (and included a Ghost Moth, plus my first Miller and Small Angle Shades), but there was a carpet that I am unsure of and would welcome any opinions on.

Unknown carpet sp.
Female Ghost Moth
Peppered moth showing camouflage on a printed background


5 comments:

  1. I think it has to be Common Marbled Carpet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers. It could well be, but I just can't really find a picture that has the right shape and colour of the cross-band, and the jagged white line below. The closest I have got so far is the yellowy-brown form of Grey Pine Carpet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our replies crossed! I was thinking Pine rather than Grey Pine because there seems to be quite a strong indentation into the orangey cross band. I've seen more Grey Pine than Pine, so I'm not very familiar with the species, but I think both species are rather variable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dave.

    Thanks for your thoughts. I also put the photo on the Norfolk moth survey yahoo group and Andy has suggested Spruce Carpet, so we are all on the same page at least!

    ReplyDelete