The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

THORPE: Carey's Meadow & Thorpe Marsh

29th June 2013

I have rather neglected the Thorpe side of my patch this spring, so I decided to have a walk down to Thorpe Marsh today. On the way I stopped in at Carey's Meadow to look for orchids. I found around 30 flowering spikes of Pyramidal Orchid, a few Common Spotted Orchids and a few Southern Marsh (no Bee Orchids though).



Arriving at Thorpe I completed a clockwise lap, stopping to scan the dry scrape. Several dragonflies whizzed past, and a Small China-mark moth was flying amongst the dyke-side vegetation. The willows have grown up so much that it is now impossible to scan the broad from the bird screen, making it rather redundant. The only birds of note were a Common Tern and a Garden Warbler, but it was still a nie walk in the sunshine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment