The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2016 is now available to download here.

The previous reports are also availble: 2015 here,
2014 report here and the 2013 report here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed sightings, information and photos to these reports.

You may also be interested in Chris Durdin's Thorpe Marsh Wildlife Report for 2016, which is available here.

NORWICH: First butterflies of the year

12th March 2011
.
A trip to the Cathedral so that Cathy could see the Peregrines was unsuccessful, but the warm weather had brought a number of butterflies out. On our walk in along Lakenham Way we saw 2 Brimstones and 4 Commas, whilst on our return the Comma numbers were up to 6 and single Peacock and Small Tortoiseshells were also out.
.

In the evening whilst watching the gulls stream eastwards towards Breydon, a very early Swallow flew through.

2 comments:

  1. I think Spring is earlier this year, I had a Chiffchaff in the garden, I had to look twice incase I was hallucinating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't checked back through all my butterfly records, but these are definitely early. If we get some more nice weather and/or southerly winds then it could well beat some of my earliest spring bird records as well. I'm yet to hear a Chiffchaff this year, but there was one singing at County Hall at the weekend apparently, so they are about!

    ReplyDelete