The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2016 is now available to download here.

The previous reports are also availble: 2015 here,
2014 report here and the 2013 report here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed sightings, information and photos to these reports.

You may also be interested in Chris Durdin's Thorpe Marsh Wildlife Report for 2016, which is available http://www.honeyguide.co.uk/documents/ThorpeMarshesWildlifeReport2016.pdf

WHITLINGHAM: Week 12 - Patch tick!

18th March 2011
.
As with the previous week I decided to give Whitlingham a try on the Friday evening rather than wade through the crowds at the weekend. A Med Gull and Mealy Redpoll were both reported during the week, so I was hopeful of finding something interesting, maybe even an elusive Garganey, a bird I'm still missing at Whitlingham. Walking along the Little Broad I saw a Water Rail for the 3rd consecutive visit, but saw nothing else of note until the conservation area, where the two redhead Goosanders were still present and I got decent views of a Cetti's Warbler from the track down to the bird screen.
.
I could so easily have missed the bird of the evening. As I walked along the riverbank path I looked up and caught sight of a large brown bird flying off towards Thorpe Marshes. From directly behind the jizz was odd... and then it turned slightly side-on - a Bittern! Eventually I lost the bird behind some trees, but it appeared to have continued east towards Postwick. Possibly a bird returning to Strumpshaw from winter feeding grounds, or a bird prospecting for a new territory? When I got home I found that someone else had reported it, also in flight. A satisfying case of being in the right place at the right time!

No comments:

Post a Comment