The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

MID-NORFOLK: A visit to Hoe Rough

Mid-August 2019

Cathy was visiting a friend in Dereham, so with a bit of time to spare I decided to check out the nearby NWT site at Hoe Rough. Upon arrival I heard a Nuthatch calling from across the river, and walking in that direction I noticed several large poplars. Checking them for leaf mines I found those of Stigmella trimaculella and Phyllocnistis unipunctella. There were various other mines, including Phytomyza conyzae in Fleabane and Phylloporia bistrigella in Birch leaves.





Heading back on to the drier grassland I spent most of my remaining time checking out the insects visiting the flowers. A good range of hoverflies were present, the best of which was Chrysotoxum festivum.


No comments:

Post a Comment