The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2016 is now available to download here.

The previous reports are also availble: 2015 here,
2014 report here and the 2013 report here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed sightings, information and photos to these reports.

You may also be interested in Chris Durdin's Thorpe Marsh Wildlife Report for 2016, which is available here.

WHITLINGHAM: New Year's Day patch visit

1st January 2012

I got down to Whitlingham for the first time in the afternoon, and the country park was completely packed with people who have made a New Year's resolution to get fit.  Luckily they will have probably given up by next week.  Along Whitlingham Lane a Green Woodpecker was feeding close to the road.  Scanning from the slipway I picked up the usual common stuff plus a Little Grebe (the first of five seen), a Grey Heron and the presumed Lesser White-front x Ross' hybrid.  The Little Broad held some Shoveler, but little else was seen until I reached the bird screen.  Here there was a large number of gulls, including a large argentatus race Herring Gull, the first I can remember seeing here.  My recced Snipe was still present, and had in fact found a friend.

Not much on Thorpe Broad, and it was starting to drizzle, so I power-walked the south shore, pausing to scan at convenient spots.  The light was going, but I headed along the Little Broad to look for Siskin and Redpoll (no luck with either).  Finally I decided to pick a likely spot and wait in case a Water Rail walked past, and I was duly smug when one did exactly that, picking its way slowly along the waters edge.  A double "zee" alerted me to two Kingfishers, which flew past at speed.  36 species was a low-key start, but we can't be too far from a cold snap now, with its attendant increase in waterfowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment