The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2016 is now available to download here.

The previous reports are also availble: 2015 here,
2014 report here and the 2013 report here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed sightings, information and photos to these reports.

You may also be interested in Chris Durdin's Thorpe Marsh Wildlife Report for 2016, which is available http://www.honeyguide.co.uk/documents/ThorpeMarshesWildlifeReport2016.pdf

WHITLINGHAM: More spring birds

27th April 2013

Well it's finally spring, traditionally the most bird-filled time to be at Whitlingham and the most likely to turn up an interesting species of non-wildfowl. Standing in the car park I heard Swifts (90), and looking up saw a small flock flying against the grey cloud. Walking through towards the broads I heard my first Reed Warbler (91) of the year singing from the hedge along the gas compound. I kept listening out for warblers as I walked along the north shore, stopping to see a Bullfinch at the top of one of the willows.


Further along I decided to make an effort to see a Cetti's Warbler, having only heard them so far this year. After a short vigil by the riverbank I did manage to get some rubbish views of one in the bramble scrub (92). Further along I saw the first of at least six Whitethroats (93). Further round and a scan of Thorpe Marsh didn't add anything, so I continued round to the south shore. Here I met Simon whilst scanning a couple of Terns, at least one of which was a Common Tern (94). He told me that he had seen a Wheatear at Thorpe earlier in the day. Being a species that I haven't seen locally I went to the woodland car park to scan across in the hope that it would be visible. Despite trying several different viewpoints (all obscurred to a certain extent by trees) there was no sign of the Wheatear.

So, six more birds until the patch hundred - I'm guessing Common Sandpiper, Cuckoo, Gropper, Garden Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat and Marsh Harrier are the most likely. Of course a Wheatear or something new would be even better... 


Everything looks better with a yacht

No comments:

Post a Comment