The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

NORWICH: Fork-jawed Nomad Bee

w/c 14th May 2018

Another spell of warm weather meant for some more interesting after work wildlife around Norwich. Perhaps the most surprising encounter was a brief sighting of a Stoat running alongside the river near New Mills, my first within the ring road. On the same day a Common Tern flew upstream. In Waterloo Park I saw my first longhorn beetle of the year, Grammoptera ruficornis, plus Box Bug and several hoverflies. The highlight however was a Fork-jawed Nomad Bee, Nomada ruficornis. Having only started looking closely at this group of very similar species I was expecting it to be the common Nomada flava, but on examination it had the two-pointed mandibles that characterise this species. A new bee for me, just minutes from home.




No comments:

Post a Comment