The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2016 is now available to download here.

The previous reports are also availble: 2015 here,
2014 report here and the 2013 report here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed sightings, information and photos to these reports.

You may also be interested in Chris Durdin's Thorpe Marsh Wildlife Report for 2016, which is available here.

NORWICH: Marston Marshes

12th April 2011



Marston Marshes LNR lies to the south of Norwich and makes up part of the Yare river valley between UEA and Whitlingham. When I first moved to the south city I was hopeful that it would be a productive site for birds, and one of the first things I heard about it was that on a warm spring evening you could still see Snipe drumming there. That proved to be a thing of the past (I only saw one Snipe, and it was departing swiftly!). Nevertheless I'm sure with regular watching Marston would clock up a decent list. A ripped notice on the gate suggests that two wader scrapes are going to be created to increase its sppeal to birds. In my experience these articifically created scrapes have a fairly low success rate at actually attracting waders, but I'm all for trying. Anyway, I was there to look for a Hawfinch seen the previous day, but it wasn't there. Having searched tree-by-tree, I spent some time watching a pair of Grey Wagtails on the path before calling it a day.


No comments:

Post a Comment